ADOPT A HIGHWAY – VOLUNTEER’S RESPONSIBILITIES
Volunteers participating in the roadside pick-up must:
- Obey and abide by all laws
- Make arrangements for off road parking
- Park as far away as possible from the highway.
- Sort litter into four different categories:
- Other refuse
- Wear an orange safety vest, gloves, and have sun protection
- Not pick up litter on the road surface or paved or gravel shoulders
- Ensure that no individual under the age of twelve (12) is present at the work site.
- Suspend litter pick-up in inclement weather
- Ensure that no pets are present
- Flag closed containers, heavy objects, or suspected hazardous materials
- Surrender items of value (wallet, purse, camera etc…) found on MTO property
- ADOPT A HIGHWAY SAFETY VIDEO. a 6-minute video